Frequently Asked Questions
1) Who can apply for the Lansum International Music Festival?
- Musicians of ages 7-32 years can apply for the festival. There is no age limit for choir applicants.
2) Can I apply for festival academy courses and competition, or competition only?
- Yes, an applicant is allowed to apply for the festival academy courses and for the competition. Applicants are also allowed to apply for the competition only.
3) When is the deadline to submit all application materials?
- The deadline for the receipt of all materials is June 15, 2018. The late application deadline is June 30, 2018 (
$30 late application feeLate fee waived)
4) When is the deadline for Scholarships?
- The deadline for receipt of all scholarship materials is June 15, 2018.
5) What is the difference between regular competition categories and open competition category?
- The open competition category is a more advanced level category for each age group.
6) Can I participate both in the regular competition categories and open competition?
- No, you can choose to participate in either the regular competition, up to two categories, or one open competition category.
7) Can I participate in different musical instrument competitions?
- Yes, you can participate in different musical instrument competition categories.
8) How much is the application fee if I select one regular category for flute and another category for piano? Additionally, how much is the application fee if I select 2 regular competition categories of flute and 1 open competition of piano?
- When applying for 1 category for flute and 1 category for piano, the application fee remains the same at $70.
- When applying for 2 categories for flute and 1 open competition category for piano, the application fee is $70 plus additional $70*. (*Please refer to application form for open competition application fees. Fees are based on age categories.)
9) What is the maximum number of categories a student can register for, including open categories?
- Music Academy Courses & Competition applicants are allowed to choose up to 2 Competition Categories OR 1 Open Competition Category and 1 Competition Category. ($70 Application fee includes 2 categories)
- Competition only applicants are allowed to choose up to 2 Competition Categories OR 1 Open Competition Category. ($70 Application fee includes 2 categories)
10) What is the application process? What materials are needed for the application?
- Applicant’s required application materials:
1. The 2018 Lansum International Application Form
2. A copy of a proof of age document, such as a passport or birth certificate
3. A current photo in passport style
4. Current performance videos via email with YouTube links or other uploaded performance links
(Required for applicants applying to Music Academy Courses and Open Competition Categories.)
5. Application / Tuition / Campus Boarding fees, via PayPal
11) How much is the application fee for competition only?
- Competition only – up to 2 categories $70.00 USD
- Competition only – Open Competition Categories: POA, POB, OA $70
- Competition only – Open Competition Categories: POC, POD, OB $80
- Competition only – Open Competition Categories: POE, OC $95
12) If a student is applying for competition only, is it necessary to provide a current performance DVD/CD/Uploaded link?
- A current performance video uploaded link is required from Music Academy Courses Applicants and Open Competition Category Applicants.
13) If a performance piece is longer than the maximum amount of time given for a category, can we play only part of the piece?
- Yes, the student will be allowed to play part of the piece if the whole performance time is longer than the allowed time limit. The judges will decide when to stop if the performance is longer than the time limit.